Sunday, December 4, 2011

Demolition Wrap Up


I believe I have completed Work-in-Progress Demolition Week with marked success! I finished three of the five projects I laid out last weekend, a fourth will go down easily (probably not too long after I post this), and the fifth I didn't think I'd get done until this following week anyway. Yay! Now I have to focus on my school work and not start any other knitting to distract me. :S

Anhinga


Pattern: Anhinga by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Berroco Comfort
Needles: US 8
Project Page

This pattern is pretty great. My own finished project, not so much (nor is the picture...sorry about that!). Nylon doesn't drape. Period. I may attempt it again some day with more suitable yarn, but right now I'd rather not think about it for at least two years. Blocking it helped a little, but I think I'm going to have to kill the yarn* to get something resembling what I initially planned. That might not work either, though. The project was a full-blown saga. If you have days to read my Ravelry notes, have at it. :) But it's finally done! I can't complain about that!

Peabody




Pattern: Peabody by Leila Raabe (for BrooklynTweed)
Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers in Mallard (2448)
Needles: US 6 & 7
Project Page

Now this sweater is a real winner! The color is smashing, the lace is gorgeous, and the fit looks pretty good. I made this for my aunt because she wanted a pullover sweater. I'll probably wash it once more before I give it to her because when I washed and blocked the body, there was a lot of excess dye. And the lace panels in the sleeves need to be flattened out. I really think she'll look great in this sweater! I hope to get a picture of her in it during the holidays.

I had initially planned to make it a v-neck, but I made it too deep and it didn't look quite right. I think a shallow v-neck would look pretty cute. On the model, the crew neck looks too high. I had 12 sts more in the collar than called for, so mine might be a little deeper. I hope. I kind of want one of my own, but I have soooo many other projects I want to make first! You guys will have to help me pick one or two. :)

I'll finish up Rocky Coast tonight, but I can't show it to you until after Christmas. Hopefully I'll have Willoughby for you Friday. I'll be lost in grading and paper-writing for the remainder of the week, so don't be surprised if I don't post on Wednesday. In the meantime, I hope your holiday knitting is going well! I can't wait to see all of your projects too!

*You can "kill" acrylic or other synthetic yarns, making them limp and soft, by steaming them. You just have to be careful not to melt them.

1 comment:

  1. I like Berocco Comfort for baby things .. I didn't think it would block being acrylic and nylon. Peabody is lovely, she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!