Saturday, December 31, 2011

Round Up

I didn’t have any internet yesterday! But I did write a Finished Object Friday blog post for you all:

The year is almost over....Time for resolutions, new dreams, new goals, and new projects! But first, to wrap up the old ones.

Smooth Edge(s)


Yarn: Alpaca With a Twist Baby Twist in Natural and Black Pearl
Needles: US 10

I knit two of these in about a week. A black one for my stepmom and a white one for her mother. I never did quite figure out how to double it over my head to get the herringbone in the right place, but, as my grandma said, “I suppose you can wear it just about any way you want!” Indeed. They are both super squishy and incredibly soft. They also both shed alarmingly, so I hope my washing them took care of that.

The pattern was interesting and a challenge, which I hadn’t realized I wasn’t finding in knitting anymore. The challenge was mainly keeping track of where I was at, but still, any challenge in knitting is kind of nice. I may have to find some more challenging patterns this coming year.

Because I used dk weight yarn instead of worsted, the cowls didn’t get as big as I would have liked, but I think if they had been as big as the pattern indicates they should be, they would have been too big. It worked out pretty good. My advice for anyone who is going to knit this pattern: knit the garter pretty tightly so the wrap and turns don’t stand out and keep the herringbone sections really loose. I might make one for myself, but I’ll use worsted weight and probably alter it by omitting the short rows. That way it won’t bother me that I don’t know how to properly wrap it around my neck. :) If anyone can explain to me if the short section goes at the front or the back of the neck, please do let me know!

Baobab


Pattern: Baobab by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Berroco Comfort Sock in Navy Blue Multi
Needles: US 3

I began this for a friend a while ago and finally found the time to finish it up for her for Christmas, but she wasn’t in town when I was, so I’ll have to contact her about mailing it to her. I’ll also whip up some little fingerless mitts for her with some yarn I got in a stash swap at our shop earlier in the month.

The pattern is actually a Kindle cover or something. I was going to make it a purse, but I noticed at a wedding over the summer that she carries her make-up in a box, so I decided to make her a little make-up bag! It’s really flimsy, so I had to sew it together kind of funny so things will stay in it, but it should work out okay. I may alter the fastener. I’m not quite sure how, though....

Pillow


Yarn: Ella Rae Classic Chunky Superwash in Purple Heather (?)
Needles: US 10

This was a shop sample that I whipped up a while ago and in no time, really! It’s pretty stinkin’ cute, if I do say so myself. The colors of this yarn are all absolutely stunning, and when you really study them, they are even better. I love a really good heathered color and this all qualify. The yarn is a little splitty, but not annoyingly so, and it’s really soft. It’s even softer after it’s been washed too! It’s a great pillow. :)

Fingerless Mitts


Pattern: Fingerless Gloves by Leigh Radford from One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
Needles: US 7

Another super quick (and rather old) shop sample. Cashmerino is luscious! I made one large mitt and one medium one out of one skein. I really don’t like the seam. It’s too bulky with this yarn weight. I suggest knitting this in the round.

I think that’s it! I got my sample knit done Monday or Tuesday and mailed it Wednesday. I’m not sure what the rules are about sharing sample knits, but I think it’s safe enough to tell you that I knit a WispyCardi for Hannah Fettig out of Quince and Co. Finch. It was a dream. I need to make one for myself! I’ll give you a full post when her photos are published (though I did take some of my own too!). The shoot is in a couple weeks.

I hope you all have a very safe and very happy New Year’s Eve! This will be my first ever, I think, away from my family and also the first ever with John. I’m not sure we’ll do anything, but we’ll still enjoy it. :) Maybe we’ll let the bunnies run free throughout the house. I wonder if they’ll wear party hats...if they will, you’ll see it, I promise!

It's not too late to have a gander at everyone else's FO Friday posts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these projects! I love the cowl and may add it to my queue, I have been knitting so many of them lately. Also, I love the yarn you used for the make up case, very pretty bright blue tones.
    And the pillow looks like a great gift idea, very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!