Monday, April 23, 2012

I Love Color

Welcome to the Third Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week here on Bunnies and Bettas! (That sounded so official!)

I had a blast participating last year, so I know this week will be loads of fun too! Thanks to Eskimimi for all the work she has put into organizing this again!

Now for today's topic: color. No doubt if you've even glanced at one of my posts once or come across my Ravelry page, you've noticed, I'm not one to shy from color. I've spoken recently about my new, unintentional draw to purple (and grey, and both together, but I don't think I mentioned that) and maybe about how I think last year's fling was anything in the spectrum between green and blue, but I haven't mentioned my Big Color Secret.

If you've ever had a color conversation with me (we're all crafters, it's not that weird, is it?), you doubtless know that I despise the colors red and pink. I once accidentally bought a red MP3 player and had to go to 3 Walmarts in order to swap it for a black one. I hate red. But, since January I have had to consciously fight the urge to buy deep red yarn! We have some Alpaca with a Twist Fino at the shop in a very pretty apple red that I pet every time I work. But I won't buy it!

Now, I haven't actually bought any red. The secret is that I've been pining for and buying the lesser of two evils: pink! And not the lesser of two pink evils (pale, baby pink), but bright pink! Oh no! But now that I think about it, I have bought some red yarn in the last three or four months!


Oh, it is soooooooo pretty!!! It makes me like red! But, can you blame me? :) I guess I'm not a red-hater anymore after all.

What about you? Has knitting or crocheting changed your mind about a color? What "color phases" have you or are you going through? We all have a grey phase, right? :) Some just last longer than others!

For more color posts from bloggers around the world, paste the silly-looking tag (the one beginning with "3") into your internet search engine of choice and they should all magically appear. Thanks for stopping by! I'll be back tomorrow if you will!

9 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for liking purple, and I certainly don't blame you for liking red! There are so many great variations of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I find it's actually the variations of red I like more than red itself, haha.

      Delete
  2. knitting has changed my mind about yellow. i used to hate hate hate yellow. but then i saw colinette jitterbug's 'vincents apron' and malabrigo's 'frank ochre', and i had to rethink my stance on yellow.

    i'm still very iffy on pink, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow is my favorite color! Oddly, I think I've only knit with it once....

      Those are awesome colors, so I can't blame you!

      Delete
  3. Hey, there's red and then there's red. That yarn is a lovely red. The candy-apple red that most household appliances come in when it says 'red' on the box is mostly more like a painfully shiney pink, rather than a nicely saturated red. I am not a big fan of reds and oranges, but I've seen a few pass by in Day 1's post that were really pretty! Plus, if it's a nice yarn, it helps a lot too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lover of red. You should try it. Socks are a good starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much a red fan either but it dominates my kitchen. I like the deeper red you bought. I bought some red at Stitches and will probably pair it w/something to tone it down w/one skein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A red kitchen actually sounds really pretty!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!