Tuesday, February 12, 2013

2012 Lingers

I think I only have two lingering December FOs to share, so here is the first and the second will come Thursday, if I can get a good photo by then. It's black, so we'll see. :S

Quite Bespeckled


Pattern: Based on A Most Bespeckled Hat by Alexandra Tinsley
Yarn: Berroco Vintage in Lilacs and Mushroom
Needles: US 7
Project Page

I've been on a stash-busting binge since about November. This is the product of said binge (which is still rather active!). I have two skeins of the purple Vintage for no real reason, so I used one to make a hat with some leftover cream I've had for ages (knit, frogged, reknit, and frogged...hence the curly pompom). I think I might have enough of the cream to knit a hat with different speckles. I don't know what I'll do with the other purple skein....


This was my first real foray into reverse-engineering a pattern from a photo. Lots of counting and mathing, which somehow ended up just right for my big head. I think my stranded knitting skills are regressing a little, though. My specks are not very well tensioned at all. I never got around to blocking the hat, though, so maybe that would fix everything.

I wear this thing all the time and have plans for at least one other, as I said. I wouldn't mind it a touch slouchier, so I'll work on that in the next one. I also think I need greater contrast between the two colors. I had a hard time knitting it when it started to get dark because I couldn't tell the difference between the colors very easily. Maybe I'll play with a different stranded design than the speckles next time and venture into the land of design. :)

4 comments:

  1. super cute! good colors. i love the look of the bespeckled hat, and reverse engineering it has occurred to me as well! i've been thinking of doing some scrap-busting... hmmmmmm....

    thoughts for the other skein of vintage: colorwork cowl, mitts, hat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm leaning pastel this year, I think. It's pretty easy to reverse-engineer and well worth it! I've been thinking matching mittens might be a necessity. :)

      Delete
  2. Cute! I finished my first knitted hat a week ago, not as cute as this, not by a long shot, and it seems too short because it keeps falling off the back of my head if I wear it like you do in the pictures... I love that pattern though, have been eyeballing it for a while now. I will own my own bespeckled hat one day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're knitting hats! It's okay, I don't think my first knitted hat was that great either. Practice! It's a great hat, so I hope you do make yourself one!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!