Friday, August 2, 2013

I Heart Stars

Stars, the Chart of My Heart

 

Pattern: Celestarium by Audry Nicklin in Twist Collective Winter 2012
Yarn: madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Cosmos
Needles: US 4
Project Page

My favorite memories from childhood are stargazing with my parents. My dad bought a telescope, watched a crazy PBS astronomy guy, and we gazed at meteor showers, space stations, colored stars, and nebulae from our driveway for hours on end. I got into Classics because I love the constellations and their ancient stories. Naturally, the second I saw this shawl, I knew I had to make it, right? I'm going to let it speak for itself. It's a lovely color, the beads are pretty and complimentary, and the pattern is super thorough and not quite as attention-sucking as you might think.


Oh yes, the beads also do this:


Glow in the dark! It blows my mind every time. :) I can't stop smiling at the thing, it's so nerdy! I'm even thinking of reading the Coma Berenice poem by Callimachus (translated by Catullus, too) at our department coffee hour this semester and super-nerdily pointing out the constellation on the shawl, ha!

I finished a lot of stuff this week (hence the radio silence on Wednesday), so I have many FOs for Fridays to come! I've gotten the bug to tackle my pile of WIPs. You?

For mor FO Friday posts, go to Tami's Amis!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, such stunning work! It inspires me to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grin every time I see it, too! I'm impressed by your Inner Geek :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous!! Kudos on seeing it through to the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am not sure i can express to you how much i am tickled by the glow in the dark beads! AMAZING! this shawl turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!