Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Success

I spent yesterday finishing my art project in a mad rush. For as little time as I had to do it and as long as it's been since I've drawn a damn thing, I'm pretty pleased with it. I'll probably tinker with it throughout the week, but it might get the job done as it is. Here's a study I worked on as I drew.


Colored pencils and I aren't friends, so I had to make extra sure I had finally figured them out before I put them in the final sketch. YouTube has taught me everything I didn't know about colored pencils (and desperately wish I had learned years ago!), so I think I'll try them again for a project to liven up our front bathroom. I'm kind of excited about it!

John's the hero of the whole thing, really. He alerted me to the call for submissions and dug my art supplies out of the closet (that was a chore and a half, I tell you!), and encouraged me every step of the way. I'm not even sure he's seen much of my art over the three and a half years we've been together, but he still believed in me. :)

Did you embark on any strange and new adventures over the weekend? Did you get snowed in? That's a hobby-helper. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Its great that you're following more than one creative pursuit and that John is so encouraging. Will you eventually post your submission? I have two creative desires I have held back on until "things settle down." But when one thing does, another stirs up so I'm thinking I just need to dive in. You are inspiring me, Vanessa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share it! I haven't heard anything about it yet and I haven't decided whether I like it. :) I can't wait to see what your creative desires turn up!

      Delete
  2. Lovely sneak peek! Sketching and drawing are such lady-like crafts, imho. And that was so nice of John! Not really something this past weekend, but I recently tried knitting for men. Much more straightforward (less shaping) but each row/round seems endless. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never knit anything for a man besides gloves or scarves. I'm itching to cast on a sweater for John, though. I can't wait to see your knit! I think cooking and piano-playing are also very lady-like. :) I love when they pop up on your blog.

      Delete
  3. yay! well done, you! i know you've been wanting to start pursuing art again! it looks wonderful so far! i always loved colored pencils... it was paint that fought me tooth and nail. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't mess with the paint because it doesn't like me either. I have one oil painting that turned out pretty great, but that's because you can't mess up oil painting. You just keep painting over your problem areas until they go away. My kind of painting. :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!