Thursday, February 13, 2014

Stash

In the last two years, I have had the great fortune of winning or receiving as gifts yarns I've never worked with before. Now that I'm finally getting around to working with them, I am making big plans for my post-stash knitting. Below is a pair of Hermione's Everyday Socks knit in Hedgehog Fibres Sock. The fabric is so soft, I literally stop every few rows and just rest my cheek on it. It's like wool that thinks it's alpaca. Look at the color! I need to get more of this yarn.


On the other hand, I have found some duds, too. Below is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool XL. It's really scratchy and not so pleasant to knit with, even for a person who doesn't mind scratchy wool.


In the process of knitting through all the yarn I've acquired in the last 7 years or so, I'm learning more and more about what I like, what I don't like, and what I dream my stash may look like some day. Ideally, I don't really want a stash. Maybe a few pretty skeins that I couldn't live without and sweater quantities purchased just ahead of casting that project on, but having piles of yarn around isn't that fun for me.

In addition, I want to allow myself to buy a sweater's worth of Shelter or some other expensive and luxurious yarn when I want to. Having so much unused yarn lying around prevents me from indulging sometimes. Having enough Silky Wool on hand means I have to make a sweater out of it, even though I know I won't love it. Why waste any precious knitting time on yarns I'm just not crazy about? Why did I buy them in the first place? Well, I worked at a knitting store and frequently it was there and looked good, so I bought it. Now that I don't work at a knitting store anymore, I'll bet I'll save myself quite a bit of money not buying things I work alongside. :)

I've noticed a lot of people reducing their stash this year. Are you? Has working through your stash revealed anything to you about your tastes in yarn or the stash you would like to keep?

For more WIP Wednesday posts, go to Tami's Amis!

5 comments:

  1. Love that first wool, it's beautiful. I don't have a yarn stash really, maybe because I like to make big blankets which use up a lot of yarn so I don't have a huge selection of wool leftover etc I don't know. I agree with you it's definitely worth it to splurge on high quality wool for a project you love than to use blah wool for a project you'll end up not even liking by the end....I need to remember this the next time there's a sale on and the urge to stock up takes a hold of me
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a very smart knitter. I started with the same ideas and then started working at a yarn shop. :)

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the Silky Wool XL -- it looks gorgeous on the screen! I love the original Silky Wool -- it knits up to have such a nice hand and seems both a little rustic and a little luxe because of the sheen. It does, however, bother my wrists.

    I've been working through my stash for a couple of years now, though I've found that I now love to crochet since it's a great way to play with color, and my stash just isn't great for large-scale crochet project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocheting would get rid of the stash faster, especially by making lots of adorable little crocheted things. :) I'm hoping the XL will wash up a bit nicer. I haven't washed it yet. I'll let you know. ;)

      Delete
  3. My stash just keeps growing, because I keep planning projects when I'm in the middle of projects, and then I go to something like Stitches West and come home with a bag full of gorgeous stuff and there aren't enough hours in the day… If I ever chuck the "no knitting in bed" rule, I'll probably never get any sleep…
    I don't care for the Silky Wool, even the non-XL - I got some at a thrift store (shocked to find anything but acrylic, so I bought it). I made a scarf for my daughter from it, but I just didn't love working with it. Can't imagine making a sweater with yarn I didn't love…
    AND - wanted to thank you for the link from Ravelry about the sock toes! What a nice surprise! And someone actually went to my blog because of it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!