Friday, March 7, 2014

A Special Skein

I have a whole pile of finished knits to show you, so whether I'm on top of things enough to write all my blog posts during the week or not, I will be sure to get an FO up on Friday for you! Extended winter has put a damper on my picture taking, so I make no promises about the photos being decent (as you shall see!).

Alexandrite Shawl


Pattern: Blackcurrant Shawl by Veera Välimäki
Yarn: String Theory Hand Dyed Yarn Caper Sock in Alexandrite
Needles: US 10

I received this yarn as a gift from a knitting friend who went on a knitting retreat and came back with bags of yarn. I appreciated it more than I could express when she gave it to me, but now that I've knitted with it...nope, still no words. The yarn is fabulous. You just have to get some for yourself!


I knew I wanted a pattern that would show off the incredible color without hiding it, would use up every inch of yarn, and could be worn close to the skin so I could cuddle with it. Blackcurrant was a check, check, check. Guys, it took me only two days to knit this shawl! It was addicting, interesting, fun, and super simple! I ended with a teeny tiny bit of yarn left, perhaps enough to make a mini sock. Instead of stopping the garter edge as written, I just kept going until I had just enough yarn to bind off. I was worried that the huge garter border would distract from the fun stockinette wedges, but I think it's all nicely balanced. The shape is interesting, too. You can see a picture on the project page. John said, "Batman!" while it was blocking. :)


Do you have a special skein of sock yarn waiting for the perfect pattern? I recommend this one, but I know there are others. Have you found the perfect pattern for that special skein of sock yarn (or any weight)? Share! We all love a little pattern enabling. ;) And yarn enabling while we're at it! Tell us where we can find some special skeins!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! My favorite for showing off special yarn is Hitchhiker by Martina Behm, though I'm now tempted to try out Blackcurrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitchhiker is a great choice! I have a Wingspan (I think they are similar patterns) someone made me with a neat skein.

      Delete
  2. What a great shawl for all of those crazy-colored skeins I'm always attracted to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Those skeins are always my favorite to buy and least favorite to knit, haha. Here's a solution!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!